The South West region covers Avon, Dorset, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire, part of Herefordshire, part of Worcestershire.
Our next Event
Monday 21 May 2018. Bookings now open.
Our next event will be an evening seminar kindly hosted by Burges Salmon in Bristol and will be chaired by Simon Tilling. Speakers include:
- Dr Steve Simpson – Marine biologist at Exeter University. To speak about the science and impact of plastic pollution in the oceans from his experience working on the Blue Planet series
- Dr Chris Sherrington - Head of Environmental Policy & Economics, Eunomia Research & Consulting.
- Emily Haggett – researcher on the impact of microplastics in the ocean and active campaigner of “Surfers Against Sewage”.
- Elsa Hadley, Burges Salmon – on the legal framework that exists to tackle marine plastics pollution and legal developments on the horizon
To book, visit the Booking Website. The SW Regional Group AGM will also be held on this date at 5pm.
We are fortunate to have a number of leading firms/Chambers, consultancies and universities based in and around the region. Bristol is also the home of the Environment Agency’s head office. As a result, our membership is drawn from a wide and diverse base.
The south-west can proudly boast about its environmental and renewable credentials, and 2015 marked a special year as Bristol played host to European Green Capital (the first UK city to be awarded the prestigious award).
We have experienced increasing attendance at events. In 2015 the group organised, with the assistance of the University of Bristol and Society of Legal Scholars, a full day conference to consider and discuss the implications of an EU exit on UK environmental law. In addition to hosting video-links of national events, the group has also hosted a major seminar on Air Quality, in conjunction with Bristol University in March 2017.
About our Group
In addition to being the home of the pasty, cream tea and arguably the best cider in the country, the South-West also boasts an extremely active UKELA regional group!
The group is represented by a committee, which is chaired by Elsa Hadley and Steve Lavington (Burges Salmon LLP Bristol). In no particular order, the other committee members are Chris Willmore (University of Bristol), Kim Moreton (independent consultancy), Becki Clark (Sustainable Direction), Ella Curnow (Burges Salmon LLP) and Harley Freemantle (student). We are also grateful to be able to call on the assistance of Simon Tilling (Burges Salmon LLP), the regional group co-ordinator and UKELA Council member.
Contact the convenors if you would like to join the group.
· Elsa Hadley, Burges Salmon LLP
· Steve Lavington, Burges Salmon LLP
· Kim Moreton, Chartered Environmental Surveyor, consultant lecturer, and a member of the RICS UK Education Standards Board
· Becki Clark, Environmental Scientist and Consultant, Sustainable Direction
· Chris Willmore, University of Bristol
· Ella Curnow, Solicitor, Burges Salmon