Jobs and internships
If you have an environmental law job to advertise, our website and e-law newsletter offer a cost effective way of reaching almost 1,500 people with relevant skills and interest. We offer competitive rates and would be pleased to hear from you if you have a vacancy.
To advertise with us, please contact us
Environmental Affairs Officer
The Incumbent reports to the Programme Manager in charge of the Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters (Aarhus Convention).
Within delegated authority, the Environmental Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists the secretariat in servicing the official processes related to the Aarhus Convention and promote the effective implementation of the Convention in such areas as public participation in decision-making, amendment of the Convention on genetically modified organisms, promotion of the Convention’s principles in international forums, and, providing substantive support, as required, to other work areas as well as assist in providing expert legal support to the secretariat.
• Assists the secretariat in preparing for, servicing and following-up to the sessions of the Meeting of the Parties to the Convention and meetings of subsidiary bodies established by the Meeting of the Parties to the Convention, in particular the Compliance Committee, and provide the required support to e.g. task force on public participation in decision; to the Working Group of the Parties, the Bureau of the Meeting of the Parties, task force on access to justice and task force on access to information. This includes drafting e.g. legal documents, thematic background documents, reports of meetings, discussion papers, publications and other material;
• Supports the secretariat's work in relation to genetically modified organisms (GMOs), including the organization of workshops and expert meetings, and cooperation with the Convention on Biological Diversity.
• Provides expert legal support to the secretariat through advice and assistance in legal matters arising in the course of the secretariat’s work; supporting legal aspects of the work of the Meeting of the Parties and its subsidiary bodies, as necessary; drafting responses to written inquiries for the secretariat.
• Supports the secretariat's work in relation to promotion and raising awareness of the Convention through servicing thematic sessions on promoting Convention’s principles in international forums; cooperation with partner organizations and institutions, as well as through participation in relevant regional and international events and processes on issues relevant to the Convention; maintains contacts with national focal points and other relevant contacts, drafts correspondence and provides information to delegations as required.
• Provides other support to the secretariat as necessary, including contracting consultants, individual contractors and other experts in preparation of relevant documents and research studies; maintenance of relevant pages of the Convention’s website, preparing entries for the Clearinghouse, dealing with written enquiries from the public, supporting fund-raising efforts; support to the Unit Chief (Secretary to the Convention), to other activities of the Aarhus Convention unit; and assisting the secretariat in complying with requests from other parts of the Division, UNECE or other parts of UN.
Experience and skills requiredA minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of international environmental law, sustainable development, democratisation, human rights, civil society engagement or a related field is required. Experience in drafting legal documents and in the field of legal and policy analysis and advice with the special focus on legislative frameworks is required. Experience with servicing or supporting multi-stakeholder intergovernmental processes, preferably in connection with global or regional environmental legal instruments is required. Experience in project management and in organizing capacity-building activities is required.
How to applyHow to apply: For more information and to apply, please follow the link
Application deadline: 31-May-2018