Join us for our half day seminar looking at Environmental Law in Northern Ireland, taking place on Thursday 9 September at 9am. Find out more on our events page.
The Northern Ireland working party provides advice to UKELA on environmental law issues relevant to Northern Ireland with a particular emphasis on environmental governance. It focuses on topical issues and seeks to influence them in the context of UKELA's overall aims.
The current priorities of the working party are:
1. advising on the challenges that post Brexit poses for environmental law in Northern Ireland
2. advising UKELA on its engagement on the way forward for environmental governance in Northern Ireland following the NI Government’s decision not to create an independent Environmental Protection Agency.
3. working to secure improvements in the regulatory and enforcement roles of the renamed NI Environment Agency, in particular through the NI Government’s “Better Regulation Initiative” and any future consultations.
4. helping UKELA work with other NGOs who share UKELA's objectives in Northern Ireland.
5. providing expert speakers for events.
6. monitoring the implementation of European legislation in Northern Ireland, and advising UKELA when to make representations about any shortfalls.
7. providing input into consultations on the implementation of legislation in Northern Ireland.
Any member of UKELA with expertise in Northern Ireland is welcome to join the working party. Contact the group's convenor if you would like to join. There is no requirement for members to attend meetings and most communications are electronic.
Working party members are free to circulate material to other members and provide updates, exchange information etc which may be of interest to the group, or make suggestions at any time about the work of the group.