Access for all
The environment sector lacks diversity. At UKELA equality, diversity and inclusion are integral to our strategy. We are committed to improving access in the environmental law sector for all, regardless of race, sex, and other protected characteristics. Our mentoring scheme is a new programme of mentoring opportunities in the field of environmental law for those who would not usually be able to take advantage of such an opportunity. The scheme is funded via our Green Match Fund campaign.
2023 mentoring programme
This scheme will offer up to 5 mentoring placements in the period September 2023 to March 2024.
- Each placement will consist of 6 months mentoring support from a named mentor working in environmental law. This will include 5 days of hands-on experience (which need not be undertaken all at once).
- During your placement you might be shadowing your mentor at meetings, in court, and attending networking and CPD events, in addition to regular catch up calls.
- Financial support is a payment of £250 at the start of the placement. This is intended to cover your out of pocket expenses such as travel costs, help with caring responsibilities and enabling you to step back from paid responsibilities during the period of the scheme.
The following organisations are working with UKELA to provide mentoring opportunities for the scheme:
- Environment Agency
- Environmental Standards Scotland
- Natural England
- Office of Environmental Protection
Who can apply?
Applications were invited from anyone over the age of 18 (as at 30 April 2023), who identifies with coming from an under-represented background in either the environmental field or legal field, as highlighted in the 2017 report from Policy Exchange and discussed in the Institute for Environmental Sciences 2022 report but also including those with protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010. This may include those who: identify as any ethnicity other than White British; identify with the protected characteristics: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
How to apply?
Closing date for this year's mentoring programme ended on Monday 19 June 2023 - please look out for updates.
Follow up reporting
Each successful applicant will be required to submit a short report about their placement. The mentor will also be asked to provide a short feedback report to you and to UKELA.